Tips mental healthcare counselor
- Make a arrangement with the ADD-er that, one day before the appointment, he/she will let you know that the appointment has not been forgotten. If the ADD-er still have forgotten the appointment, just give a reminder call. The ADD-er bears sole responsibility and the reassurance that the appointment is less likely to forget.
- Try to keep in mind that people with ADD are analytic, they have a hard time understanding why you suddenly have a business attitude. For many people with ADD you can also compensate for the lack of friends, find a middle ground in the way of approach.
- The diagnosis of ADD is unfortunately not as easy for everyone. It often happens that previously it fermented to a different/wrong diagnosis. The ADD-er has heard the standard questions too often and usually will be well informed and prepared while visiting the mental healthcare counselor . It is possible that the ADD-er has become defensive and lost confidence in mental healthcare. Make it clear on basis of experience that you are familiar with ADD and understand why a correct diagnosis is important for the ADD-er.
- First Ensure that there exists a clear consensus on what you, as a counselor, has to offer, you're limitations, and to what extent you can play a role in the life of the ADD-er. Add-ers will have often extremely high expectations.
- Try to be aware of the fact that many people with ADD are less able to build up a stable base of life. There is often a case of debt and the Add-er has little money. In such case, only prescribe medication for which the ADD-er can get reimbursed. Don't let ADD-er lost behind in the pharmacy. Try preferably first to look for solutions in the financial situation.
- If possible, try to work with other professionals of theADD-ers, such as parents, coaches, psychologists, psychiatrists, teachers, sports instructors, etc. A joint effort is required. This requires that you have to write down a lot on paper. Indicate whether the ADD-er agrees with you or not, and why.
- Do not underestimate the intelligence of an ADD-er. They can express themselves well, but usually has became insecure.
- For some ADD-ers it is very important that he/she gets a chance to talk about emotions, others have absolutely no need to at all. Respect this and give each other enough time for a better acquainted . Ask specific questions and expect that the ADD-er will not give specific answers. This has to do with ADD, it is not unwillingness but the result of having many thoughts. Adult ADD-ers sometimes have less difficulty. Among people with ADD There are different types to discern who approach their concentration problems differently .
- Make it clear why you think that it is (indeed) ADD or not.
- If you got the feeling that you don't have enough "contact" with the ADD-er, than, in the interest of the patient/client,transfer the case to a colleague. For a diagnosis, you can also referring the ADD-er to a specialized organization such as the ADHD clinic in Rotterdam, PsyQ for adults or Altrecht. Perhaps the further treatment can be taken place with you again. Also pediatricians are usually very experienced.
- If you choose to try medication, talk to the ADD-er if a placebo trial is required. That means, that the ADD-er for the first several weeks, doen't known whether medication was taken or not.
- Allow enough time to answer all questions on the subject medication. It's naturally that people with ADD look up information on the internet and be confused by the many services available on this topic.
- Start at the appropriate prescribing of medication with a test dose, don't measure the dose directly affect the weight.
- Try to keep in mind that some people with ADD could choose not to take medication. That does not mean that the ADD-er is untreatable. Medication will never take away all problems with ADD.
- Medication is in contrast to the positive results in people with ADHD, less often an effective solution for ADD. Yet it is good if you don't immediately give up after the first attempt. A different kind of medication or a different dose can sometimes bring big difference. If medications appears not to be the solution, the best you can do is, look together for practical solutions and detours.
- A light dose of an anti-anxiety and panic symptoms medicine can sometimes make a big difference, this could also be natural products.
- Melatonin has often a positive effect on the sleep patterns of the ADD-er.